Behavioral Health Technician Position
Position: Behavioral Health Technician (BHT)
Supervised By: BHT Lead and BHT Manager
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt
Hourly/Salary Range: Dependent on Experience
Hours Weekly: 36 – 40
Behavioral Health Technician Position Purpose:
The Behavioral Health Technician has responsibility for providing safety, supervision, organization and follow-through in all domains related to efficient and effective operations. This position is responsible for overseeing resident life and maintaining the infrastructure, reflecting program philosophy and participating in operational components of the milieu, assuring the highest possible standard of care, value, and outstanding service.
Behavioral Health Technician Position Requirements/Qualifications:
- EDUCATION: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a Social Science field preferred; but other courses of study considered based on experience. CAC desired.
- EXPERIENCE: Must have experience with treatment facilities and/or work with addictions and mental health populations. Prefer residential and milieu experience.
Specific Areas of Responsibility for Behavioral Health Technician Position:
- Maintain safety of the milieu at all times including constant awareness and supervision of clients, surroundings, high risk issues.
- Participate in de-escalation and foster communication.
- Maintain schedule of events and activities. Participate with clients at scheduled events to model healthy engagements and positive attitude.
- Provide safe transportation to/from events and appointments.
- Read and acknowledge written information via communication log/email prior to shift; prepare shift notes at the end of the shift, documenting events of note, mood, and issues.
- Use universal precautions effectively and instruct clients on their benefits and use.
- Complete and maintain current QMAP certification and administer medications to clients.
- Complete medication counts during every shift.
- Conduct drug testing and breathalyzer testing. Assure chain of custody and complete documentation. Prepare/transport positive tests to the main office.
- Track attendance of lower level of care clients at nightly support meeting.
- Oversee house-life during shift: chores, meal preparation and clean up, in-house activities and interactions, routine overnight checks and vitals.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness of residences, ensuring that it is presentable by 10 AM, Monday through Saturday.
- Participate in transitioning new clients to houses including reviewing rules/expectations, scheduling, chore assignments, curfew, schedule, etc.
- Observe the residential environment and remedy or report maintenance issues.
- Facilitate check in/out meetings, milieu meetings and psycho-education groups.
- Understand and participate in all safety drills and provide organized and effective leadership in drills and real emergencies.
- Maintain communication with clinical staff about dynamics, behavior, events, and other required-to-report issues.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely, accurate, and satisfactory manner.
- Other duties as assigned.